How to Attract Synchronicity Into Your Life
This post is an update on the original article entitled Synchronicity (A Gift From the Universe) and How to Attract It.
On my 30th birthday, I went out to dinner with my friends to celebrate (Also read: 30 Life Lessons Before Turning 30). During dinner, one of them suggested we catch a movie after, The Equalizer starring Denzel Washington. I agreed, without any knowledge about the movie and without any inkling of the surprise awaiting me.
We occupied a row of seats at the back, me sitting at the rightmost. After a series of movie trailers, The Equalizer finally rolled. Against a black background, a favorite quote from Mark Twain appeared in white letters.
My friend to my left immediately turned to me upon seeing the quote. We two had been having some deep conversations about life in the past few weeks and I mentioned that quote to her before. “Hmm,” I thought. The movie was off to a good start.
A few minutes later, Robert McCall, played by Denzel Washington, went to a diner in the middle of the night. With a mug of tea, he began reading a book. The camera zoomed in on the title of the book, Ernest Hemingway’s The Old Man and the Sea. I had another “Hmm” moment in my head.
In a different scene at the diner moments later, a girl named Alina, played by Chloë Grace Moretz, joined McCall on his table. They talked and something that McCall said induced another “Hmm” moment. Not verbatim, he said something very similar to this, “You can be what you want to be.”
McCall had already finished The Old Man and the Sea and had brought another book with him. When asked by Alina about his reading, he said his late wife was on a quest to read 100 recommended books before she died. Now that she’s gone, he decided to take on the same quest. Cued another “Hmm” moment in my mind.
If I wasn’t inside the cinema I would’ve screamed my heart out with an intense “YAAAAAASSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!”. That night, on my birthday, the universe handed me the best gift I ever received – synchronicity.
Synchronicity, according to Carl Jung, is an explanatory principle of “meaningful coincidences”. Dictionary.com defines it as the simultaneous occurrence of causally unrelated events and the belief that the simultaneity has meaning beyond mere coincidence.
Ever since getting in tune with my life’s purpose, things from the past and present became clearer and more significant to me such as why I worked as a teacher earlier in my career (to understand the feeling of serving people), why I had to get sick (to motivate me to live a healthier lifestyle), and why I had to meet a friend of a friend (who introduced me to a career coach). Those events became more meaningful with a clear understanding of why. When those “Hmm” moments appeared literally right in front of my eyes, I knew the universe was telling me something.
“Hey Xeno Hemlock, happy 30th birthday. You’re on the path rightfully meant for you,” said the Universe through The Equalizer.
Mark Twain’s quote spoke a lot to me in discovering my life’s purpose. In the middle of the year, I listed my goals for the remaining months and reading a Hemingway book was one of them. Self-motivation is a big part of my life; I keep reminding myself that I can be what I want to be (a self-published writer). I had just read Chris Guillebeau’s recent book The Happiness of Pursuit which tackled on taking a life quest. Those four “Hmm” moments were more than just a series of frames in a roll of film. They held great meaning.
When you experience synchronicity, it leads you to believe a couple of things. First, it tells you that you are on the right path. The signs you receive are affirmations. Second, if you are at a crossroad or heading to a fork in your life, synchronicity gives you hints on which direction to take. You get clues that help you make a decision. Third, you may be getting something that will prove invaluable to you later down the road. It’s like getting a get-out-of-jail card or a 1-up mushroom.
Is everyone capable of experiencing synchronicity? Yes and no. Synchronicity may happen to a person without them knowing or realizing it. If you are aware of it, then you’ll know when synchronicity is staring you right in the face. Now the question is “How do you attract synchronicity?”
- Define your purpose and vision in life. If you know which path you want to go to, your mind will be able to pick up synchronicity easier. What if you do not know yet your life’s purpose and vision? You can begin by asking the question and pursuing the answers. Synchronicity may drop you a hint as explained above. Remember, if you do not know where you are going, you will not get anywhere. You need a definite purpose and a vision. Because when you do not know what you want out of life, then life does not exactly what to give to you.
- Be open minded. Imagine that your mind is a room with closed windows and a locked door. It's dark and cold inside. Now, open one window and watch some light go in. Now go open another. More light fills the room. Now go open the rest of the windows and unlock that damn door. Doesn't the air from the outside feel good? Doesn't the light that has now filled the room made the room so much better? Your mind is that room. Synchronicity is the light and the air. The more windows and door(s) of the mind that you open, the more can synchronicity come in.
- Live life! You are putting yourself away from synchronicity if you do not go out of your house to experience the world. This does not automatically mean traveling around the globe. You should meet new people, try new experiences, or do something different for a change. When you put yourself out there, the more things will come to you. Synchronicity will not come to you if you are staying put. Put your life energy into motion. Truly live a life and not just merely exist.
- Keep learning. Improve your skills or choose to learn a new one. It can lead you to a path you never expected to be on but is compatible to you. No one is too great to learn anything new. The practice of exercising the minds through the learning of skills, pursuit of goals, attainment of experiences, and problem-solving will raise the mind's awareness and susceptibility to synchronicity. Remaining stagnant will hinder your mind from growing and being open. Set goals and work on achieving them.
- Stay away from negativity. You are what you attract. What you project, the world returns back to you. Synchronicity is a positive energy. If you keep your mind polluted with negative thoughts, you close the opportunity for synchronicity to present itself. It is very important that you guard your thoughts from the negative influence of other human beings and from your own self as well, whenever you act as your own saboteur.
Incorporate the tips above to invite synchronicity in your life. The fact that you are reading this may already be a sign. Now I ask you. Are you ready? Are you willing?
Subscribe with your best e-mail to receive newsletter and articles like this.
Or connect with your favorite social media platform below!
Cover image: Universe in my hands by Lauro Roger McAllister