Happy 1st birthday to my son, I Killed My Friends and It Thrilled Me. I labored you for 3 years (and it thrilled me) and love you with my flesh, blood, sweat, tears, heart, spirit, and soul. I am proud of you and will be for eternity.
As a special celebration for this milestone, here are 10 trivia about the book:
- The working title of the novel was I Killed My Friends and It Fucking Thrilled Me.
- One of the characters on the cover was named after Twitter user @neilnamoro.
- The short stories collection Walden and Hyde (and Other Short Stories) is a spinoff/prequel of some sort to the novel.
- The flash fiction series Death's Last Days With the Dying is a spinoff of the novel featuring one of the characters in the book - Prudence!
- One of the characters on the cover was inspired by the popular classic fairy tale character Snow White.
- The films I Know What You Did Last Summer and I Still Know What You Did Last Summer were early inspirations for the book.
- One of my editors, Stacy Jerger, classified this book as literary fiction.
- 78 characters were sacrificed during the writing of this book.
- Everybody's beloved pizza plays a role in the story. Yes, pizza!
- The shitty opening of the novel from its first draft was "If you're going to rekindle romance with your first love, don't do it in the middle of the city's big park. Trust me, it didn't work when I tried." Of course, I changed it. It was crap. 😈 On a romance-related note, unlike It Thrilled Me, the main theme of my second novel is love.